The Importance of Blood Sugar Regulation
Maintaining healthy blood sugar levels is so important for our health, as it plays a vital role in multiple functions in our body.
Blood sugar regulation is the process by which the body maintains a healthy amount of glucose in the blood. Glucose is the primary source of energy for the body’s cells, and when its levels are too high or too low, it can lead to complications in our health, including type 2 diabetes, hypoglycemia, obesity, heart disease, and stroke.
Blood Sugar Levels and Weight Loss
Steady blood sugar levels are also essential for healthy weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight. When blood sugar levels are high, our body releases insulin, which helps to regulate glucose levels. Insulin promotes the storage of glucose in fat cells, which can lead to weight gain.
By regulating blood sugar levels, we can prevent excess glucose from being stored as fat, which can contribute to weight loss.
How Berberine Works to Regulate Blood Sugar Levels
Berberine is a natural compound that has been shown to be effective for regulating blood sugar levels. It works by activating an enzyme called AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK), which helps to regulate glucose uptake and metabolism. Berberine also helps to improve insulin sensitivity, which helps our cells to better utilise glucose and helps to promote weight loss.
The Use of Berberine in Herbalism & Natural Medicine
Berberine is found in a range of plants, such as barberry, goldenseal, and Oregon grape. It has been used in traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine for centuries to manage various ailments including diarrhoea, inflammation, and infections.
In present-day natural medicine, berberine is used for its anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and anti-diabetic properties. It has gained more attention for its ability to reduce blood sugar levels, improve insulin sensitivity, and promote weight loss.
Benefits of Berberine For Blood Sugar Regulation and Weight Loss
Berberine has been shown to be as effective as metformin, a commonly prescribed medication for type 2 diabetes. Unlike metformin, berberine has fewer side effects and is generally considered safe for long-term use.
Berberine has demonstrated efficacy for:
- Reducing blood sugar levels
- Improving insulin sensitivity
- Supporting weight loss
- Reducing inflammation, and
- Lowering cholesterol levels.
Why We Love Thorne Berberine
Thorne Berberine contains pure berberine extract and is a natural and effective way to regulate blood sugar levels and support weight loss. By helping regulate glucose levels and supporting proper insulin function, it promotes balanced blood sugar levels and contributes to metabolic wellness.
Berberine is generally safe for long-term use, but it may interact with some medications, so it is important to consult your healthcare professional before taking it.
- Hua, W., Ding, L., Chen, Y., Gong, B., He, J., & Xu, G. (2012). Determination of berberine in human plasma by liquid chromatography–electrospray ionization–mass spectrometry. Journal of pharmaceutical and biomedical analysis, 62, 141-146.
- Imenshahidi, M., & Hosseinzadeh, H. (2016). Berberine and barberry (Berberis vulgaris): a clinical review. Phytotherapy Research, 30(2), 174-193.
- Li, Z., Geng, Y. N., Jiang, J. D., & Kong, W. J. (2019). Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of berberine in the treatment of diabetes mellitus. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2019.
- Zhang, Y., Li, X., Zou, D., Liu, W., Yang, J., Zhu, N., … & Ning, G. (2008). Treatment of type 2 diabetes and dyslipidemia with the natural plant alkaloid berberine. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 93(7), 2559-2565.